Vastu for Homes
Vastu Shastra balances the Pancha Mahabootas or five elements of nature done by the proper placement of furniture, water bodies, electrical and electronic gadgets, location of doors etc. It helps in the flow of cosmic energies in a regulated and systematic manner. This leads to prosperity and wellbeing of the people.
The benefits of this amazing science can be listed as follows :-
- The aesthetic appeal of the architecture of the home can be augmented by incorporating Vastu
- It encourages the inflow of health, prosperity and well being
- Vastu ensures harmonious relationships amongst the inhabitants of the house
- The physical, mental, emotional and spiritual growth is enhanced
- Efficient connection of physical energies like solar, thermal, magnetic, electrical and other known & unknown cosmic energies
- Makes the construction of the house compatible with the natural environment
- Ensures that new constructions do not interfere with the nature’s balance which can help avoid natural calamities
- Optimum utilization of the given space and harnessed functionalities
Guidelines for placement of elements in the right directions :-
- East is the most auspicious direction for entrance to a house.
- The slope of the property should be from west to east or south to north.
- Shadow of a tree should never fall on the house.
- The north direction represents prosperity, and should never be blocked.
- Cactus plant should never be grown in the house.
- All doors should open towards inside.
- Door hinges should be noiseless.
- Columns in a building must be placed in even numbers in any construction.
- The main bedroom should be constructed in the south-west direction.
- The bed should never be placed below a beam.
- Square and rectangle shape bedrooms are perfect for ensuring peace and prosperity.
- Avoid hanging pictures that depict violence or sorrow.
- Any reflective surfaces such as mirrors and televisions should be covered at night while sleeping.
- Sleep with your head towards South.
- Minimise clutter in your room as clutter represents the unfinished tasks of your life.
- The north direction is ideal for the construction of living room.
- Vaastu advises against the use of paintings which depict negative aspects of life.
- Air-conditioners should be in the west and not in the southeast section.
- Southern and western corners of the room are perfect for placing the furniture.
- Dining tables must have even-numbered chairs.
- Kids' room should be constructed in the northwest corner of the house.
- The colour scheme should be mild.
- Don't place the furniture sticking to the wall, as it obstructs the flow of positive energy.
- The study desk should be placed in such a manner that the child faces eastern, northern or north-eastern corner while studying.
- The computer should be placed in the southwest corner.
- The ideal location of the kitchen is the southeast corner of the house, with northwest being the second best option.
- Cooking activity should be done while facing east, as it's an auspicious direction. The other option is north direction.
- Electrical items such as microwaves, juicers and mixers should be placed in the southeast corner of the kitchen.
- The refrigerator should be in the northwest, southeast, south or west.
- The kitchen must have adequate provision for cross-ventilation.